Quarter Final Scottish Junior Cup

Tuesday March 17th 2015

Reportor Jim Dick

Quarter Final Scottish Junior Cup

Musselburgh 2 Penicuik 0

Musselburgh: Adams, Christie, Martin, Myles, Hunter, Smith, Beveridge, Thompson, Sheerin, Wilson, Munro Subs: Hamilton, Turner, Jackson, Ralton, Davie

Penicuik: Bejaoui, Cunnison, Ross, White, Young, Lister, Patterson, McCulloch, McCallum, Gay, McDermott Subs: Burrell, Weir, Killin, Jancyzk, Hill

After defeating Arthurlie in the 5th round, Penicuik travelled to the “Honest Toon” to take on local rivals Musselburgh Athletic for a place in the semi-finals.

The opening minutes were evenly contested but in the 10th minute a cross by Patterson beat keeper Adams, only to glance off the crossbar and cleared. Five minutes later, a long range strike by Ross was well covered by Adams. At the other end, Cunnison did just enough to deflect a cross at the back post away to safety. In the 22nd minute, Musselburgh were denied the lead when Bejaoui pulled off a tremendous one handed save to turn away a net bound header by Munro.

Play swung to the other end and a driving run by McCulloch ended with his shot hitting the side netting. The home side took the lead in the 37th minute when Penicuik gave away a free kick just outside the penalty box. Thompson curled the ball round the defensive wall and although Bejaoui got a hand to the ball he couldn’t prevent it going in off the post.

Half Time: Musselburgh 1 Penicuik 0

Musselburgh vs Penicuik Main

Three minutes into the half and Musselburgh had keeper Adams to thank for an excellent save low down to his right to prevent McCallum’s strike hitting the back of the net.

In their next attack, Patterson beat two defenders and passed to Gay wide on the right, but he over hit his cross to the back post and the ball went out for a goal kick. In the 51st minute, with Penicuik enjoying their best spell in the game, a strike by McDermott hit the post and went out for a goal kick.

Three minutes later, another good move by Penicuik ended with Patterson’s effort being blocked and cleared. Then another great cross by Gay was just missed by McCallum. In the 61st minute, Penicuik survived two consecutive corner kicks before the danger was cleared.

In the 70th minute, a testing cross by McDermott from the left wing beat keeper Adams and in the attempt to clear the ball, Martin thumped the ball against his own player and the ball sailed over the bar. One minute later, another great ball to the back post saw McCulloch inches away from heading home.

Minutes later Gay and McCulloch produced a carbon copy of the previous attack, again with the same result. Penicuik were putting everything into getting the equaliser and Killin had a great chance, but sliced his shot high and wide of the goal.

In the 84th minute, Bejaoui turned a Sheerin free kick away for a corner. From the corner, Martin should have scored, but he headed Sheerin’s cross into the box well wide of the target.

The tie was put to bed in the 87th minute when a long clearance by Adams was picked up by Thompson who rounded Bejaoui to slot home from a tight angle.

Tweet Share on Facebook  

Subscribe to the Midlothian View newsletter

Support Midlothian View from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Thank you.

Comments are closed.