Strong Away win for Penicuik

Monday February 16th 2015

Reporter Jim Dick

Two minutes into the half and McCallum blocked Birse’s attempt to clear and Patterson pounced on the loose ball to slot home.

Two minutes later Penicuik lost possession in the Lochee half and Cargill was set free one on one with Bejaoui, but the big keeper deflected the strike away for a corner. From the corner the first shot was blocked and the rebound was struck wide of the goal. At the other end Patterson was in with a chance when he rounded the keeper but was flagged offside.

In the 10th minute, a Jancyzk cross was cleared to the edge of the box, but McCulloch’s powerful strike flew over the crossbar. Then keeper Gray did well to deny Gay blocking his effort at the front post.

In the 20th minute Gray was again in action cutting out a low Gay cross at the feet of McCallum. Minutes later, a Jancyzk free kick was headed narrowly wide of the upright by McCulloch. Then poor defending by Penicuik allowed Birse on the ball and only an exceptional save by Bejaoui prevented Lochee from equalizing. Then a high ball was flicked over the head of keeper Gray by McCallum, but Kirk got back to clear the ball off the goal line.

In the 31st minute Patterson set Gay free on the right and his low hard cross into the six yard box was turned into his own net by Bannon.

In the 37th minute, Penicuik lost possession and three quick passes set up Cargill, but his shot was deflected inches wide of the post by keeper Bejaoui for a corner. From the corner, Bejaoui blocked two strikes on goal, but Blackwood was on hand to knock the ball home from close range.

Three minutes before half time a slick move down the left wing by Lochee saw Connor get a touch on to a low cross into the box but the ball slid inches past the post.

Half time: Lochee 1 Penicuik 2

Just 16 seconds into the half and Penicuik increased their lead when McCallum nipped in ahead of his marker and slotted home a pinpoint Jancyzk cross to the front post.

Immediately afterwards Cargill had a chance but failed to hit the target. In the 51st minute came the goal of the match when Gay intercepted a pass, drove forward and laid the ball off to McCallum on the right. He got to the bye line, looked up and crossed the ball into the penalty box where Gay, who had continued his run, bulleted a header past Gray into the net.

Lochee continued to move the ball well, but failed to capitalize on the chances created. In the 60th minute, Connor’s cross into the box was inches away from being headed home. The ball was knocked back in again, but poor finishing again saw the shot go wide of the target. Two minutes later, more pressure by Lochee saw three shots blocked and a fourth dragged wide of the post. In the 71st minute, Bejaoui pulled off a magnificent save to deny Gallacher.

In the 80th minute, a high cross by substitute McDermott saw McCulloch out jump the keeper to head home for Penicuik’s fifth.

The second half saw Lochee press hard, create chances, but inept finishing, good defending and some exceptional save by Bejaoui prevented the home side scoring.

Final score: Lochee 1 Penicuik 5

Lochee: Gray, Bannon, Kirk, Beedie, McWalter, Percy, Cargill, Blackwood, Gates, Scott, Connor, Birse Subs: Fotheringham, Voigt, Webster, Gallacher, Tawse

Penicuik: Bejaoui, Cunnison, Ross, White, Young, Lister, Gay, McCulloch, McCallum, Patterson, Jancyzk Subs: Weir, McDermott, Burrell, Bunyan, Hill

Tweet Share on Facebook  

Subscribe to the Midlothian View newsletter

Support Midlothian View from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Thank you.

Comments are closed.


Midlothian View Advertising