Penicuik 2 Broxburn 2

Wednesday August 12th 2015

Penicuik 2 Broxburn 2

By reporter Jim Dick

The game started at a high tempo with both sides looking for an early goal. The first chance fell to the visitors in the 6th minute when, following a corner, the ball was headed clear of the box but was struck first time by Keast. However his effort went high over the bar.

Three minutes later, some tenacity by Gay saw him win the ball and beat the defender to lay the ball back to Patterson, but he fluffed his shot and Maley gathered easily.

In the 25th minute, keeper Bejaoui had to look lively to deal with a pass back whilst under pressure from Alexander. At the other end, a Penicuik corner was tipped away by Maley, but Barr’s strike on goal was mishit and cleared.

Penicuik were in complete control of the game at this point and a fine run off the ball by Barr saw him set up by Ross, but his shot went just wide of the target. Then in the 28th minute, a free kick to Penicuik was well saved by Maley. Two minutes later, keeper Bejaoui had to dive low down to his right to turn away a Broxburn free kick.

Just before half time, Broxburn claimed for a penalty when a cross appeared to strike Young’s arm, but referee Doig was unmoved.

Three minutes into the second half saw Gay drive up the wing, cut inside leaving defenders in his wake until he was up ended in the box by Scott. McCallum blasted the spot kick into the top corner of the net giving Maley no chance.

Two minutes later, Anderson got past McDermott on the right wing, but his cross into the box was headed just wide by Miller. In the 51st minute, a great run and cross by Keast picked out Anderson on the right who laid the ball back to Miller, but his effort was stopped just short of the line by Young who cleared the danger.

Broxburn were having their best spell in the game and equalised in the 56th minute when Anderson got past White to drive the ball home. In the 64th minute, a throw in by Ross found McCallum who held the ball up well and laid it into the path of Ross, but he dragged his shot wide of the target. One minute later, a Jancyzk free kick was headed past Maley in the six yard box by McCallum but both Somerville and Montgomery failed to get a touch on the ball. However the stand side assistant ruled McCallum offside.

At the other end, Keast had a strike saved by Bejaoui who had to recover quickly to smother the ball as Alexander rushed in. Penicuik had worked their way back into the game and Somerville came close with a glancing header off a Gay cross. Ten minutes later, Maley pulled off a fine save to deny the same player.

Penicuik took the lead in the 83rd minute when a driven cross into the box by substitute Lough was headed high into the air by Willems, and as it dropped into the six yard box, Somerville was on hand to knock the ball over the line. With everyone in the ground thinking the three points were going to Penicuik, in the 92nd minute Broxburn were awarded a soft penalty kick and Anderson scored from the spot, sending Bejaoui the wrong way.

Penicuik: Bejaoui, Ross, McDermott, White, Young, Barr, Gay, Jancyzk, McCallum, Patterson, Montgomery Subs: Somerville, Mitchell, Cunnison, Lough, McGurk

Broxburn: Maley, Willems, Millar M, Locke, Millar J, Fraser, Lochrie, Scott, Miller, Keast, Anderson Subs: Anderson, Nimmo, Auriemma, Smith, Cormack

Referee: Mr D Doig

Tweet Share on Facebook  

Subscribe to the Midlothian View newsletter

Support Midlothian View from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Thank you.

Comments are closed.


Midlothian View Advertising