Thursday June 29th 2023
An artist's impression of the new Pickup & Dropoff zone within the whole ground floor of the Edinburgh Airport's multi-storey car park.
Edinburgh Airport’s charged Pickup & Dropoff zone will reopen to passengers following a £1.6 million project to transform the facility.
The facility has been upgraded with the whole ground floor of the multi-storey car park transformed to include a new one-way system spread across four lanes, providing a streamlined process with more space. Digital signage and new walkways, crossings and lighting have also been designed to deliver a brighter, more modern facility.
This will fully open to passengers tomorrow, Friday June 30th, with the pick-up zone returning there after being temporarily located in the Terminal car park since January.
From Monday July 17th the cost of using the facility for up to ten minutes will be £5, an increase of £1 on the current price. This takes the charge in line with those in place at other Scottish airports. Discounts of 50% for local residents(*) and electric vehicle users will remain in place, with the free Pickup and Dropoff area also being retained to provide choice for passengers.
The airport says the proceeds of the Pickup & Dropoff fee goes towards:
– Enhancing passenger experience by allowing the airport to attract new routes, destinations and airlines to increase connectivity, and provide choice for passengers.
– Improving infrastructure at the airport, such as the recent £75 million terminal expansion and the new Pickup & Dropoff Zone.
– Supporting the airport’s sustainability efforts, such as the installation of a solar farm on the airfield
– The Airport Community Fund which allocates money to local groups and charities every year.
The free Pickup & Dropoff zone is located in the Long Stay Car Park where vehicles can stay for up to 30-minutes without charge, while the airport also has a range of parking options and convenient bus, tram and taxi links to Edinburgh and wider Scotland.
Gail Taylor, Chief Commercial Officer (non-aero) at Edinburgh Airport, said:
“At the airport we’re always looking to improve what we have to offer, and the revenue generated through the Pickup & Dropoff fee helps us deliver new routes and destinations, introduce better services and facilities for passengers, and enhance our existing infrastructure.
“The £1.6million modernisation of Pickup & Dropoff is one we’re confident will make a big difference to those who use it. These works see the introduction of a one-way system, new walkways and crossings, and digital signage, and have been timed to complete in time for busiest period over the summer. We’d like to thank passengers for their patience and understanding while these were ongoing.
“We’re committed to offering as much choice as possible and charged Pickup & Dropoff is one of several options passengers have when they come to the airport. We do also have a free alternative in our Long Stay Car Park along with fantastic parking and public transport connections.”
* Local Resident discount: Individuals who live within the following postcode districts (EH4 6; EH4 8; EH12 0; EH12 9; EH28; EH 29 or EH52 5) contact email@example.com to apply for the scheme.Tweet Share on Facebook